Fox Glacier is located on the West Coast of the South Island and only 21 km's south of Franz Josef. There are a number of different tour options of varying lengths. Please note that the full ice walk is NO longer available, however it is business as usual for the Fox Trail Terminal Face walk.
Guides are trained through the international Mountain Guides Association for the highest level of safety management and the best cost effective trips. Alpine Guides Fox Glacier have more then 20 years experience.
- Guided Glacier Terminal Walks - This is an informative and leisurely trip to the dynamic face of the glacier which is suitable for children from 5 years. It is here that the Fox River emerges from the ice and where ice collapses are often heard and seen. Departing morning and afternoon. View Video.
- Fly-in, fly-out helihike combines the excitement of walking on the Fox Glacier with the thrill of helicopter flights. By flying in, you are able to access and explore a part of the glacier where very often spectacular ice caves and arches are created. This is a 4-hour trip requiring a reasonable level of fitness. Leather boots, socks and crampons are supplied. View Video on Heli Hiking Fox Glacier.
- Ice Climbing Adventures introduces the adventurous to the exhilirating sport of ice climbing, on the spectacular ice walls in the lower part of the Fox Glacier. This is a full day activity and all equipment is supplied. Good fitness and agility is needed but no previous experience as your guides are trained to teach.
- Browne Fox: Chancellor Dome Heli-Trek starts with a thrilling flight by helicopter, over magnificent rainforest and ice pinnacles, into the valley of the Fox Glacier to the historic Chancellor Hut where mountain antelope, Chamois, can frequently be seen. From Chancellor Hut, the route ascends to a glorious view of Mt Tasman. A highlight is the final ascent to the summit at 2,004 metres (6,526 feet). This climb, takes you to the point that affords the best view of the Southern Alps highest peaks and the magnificent snowfields that feed the Fox Glacier.After lunch, you fly down the glacier back to Fox Glacier township. As an introduction to mountaineering, this trip is unsurpassed.
- Brown Fox: Chancellor Dome Overnight Heli-Trek is a 2-day Trek and is essentially the same as the Chancellor Dome Heli-Trek, except that you do not fly back to the Fox township at the end of the day. Instead, while your guide prepares dinner, you can relax in the tussock by Chancellor Hut, drink a glass of wine and watch the spectacular sunset on the Tasman Sea below. On Day 2, you can either explore the fantastic alpine gardens and waterfalls of the Chancellor Shelf, or for a more adventurous option, descend through the alpine vegetation zones to the glacier. The ice features of Victoria Flat can then be explored before the helicopter arrives to return you back to the Fox Glacier township.This is a truly magnificent and complete experience - climb a mountain, explore a glacier and stay overnight in a historic hut.Maximum guide to customer ratio is 1:3. A minimum of 2 people is required for this trip to go ahead.